MERCY CENTER BURLINGAME
About Mercy Center:
Mercy Center is an internationally known retreat and conference center in the San Francisco Bay Area. We offer training and formation programs in meditation, spirituality, and spiritual direction. We host up to 100 overnight guests and up to 400+ people for conferences and events. Our programs are offered in-person and online.
Employer: Mercy Ministry Corporation
Job Title: Program Coordinator – Meditation and Retreats
Department: Mercy Center Burlingame
To provide leadership and coordination for Meditation Training Programs and Sponsored Retreats to help forward the mission of Mercy Center Burlingame. This is a full-time, onsite, exempt, salaried position, averaging 40 hours per week, and involving frequent weekend and evening hours. Offers a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for our guests and the Mercy campus community. Supports the needs of Mercy Center and the Director, while creating in-person and online content and enhancing our website and social media presence.
The ideal candidate will have a Meditation training certificate and have knowledge of personal/spiritual growth and development with a true passion for meditation and mindfulness, helping to provide a sustainable and healthy spiritual center and work environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cultivate a Meditation Training Program that enhances our established East West Meditation and Centering Prayer programs. Teach regular meditation classes and offer podcasts, online courses, and writings to help grow new audiences while inviting new participants to connect with our established meditation and Centering Prayer programs,
- Leads, attends, and facilitates days of reflections and/or overnight retreats to support the Meditation program,
- Sponsored Retreat Planning – Curate in-person and online retreats and prepare the annual retreat and program offerings of the Center in collaboration with the Director and the Mission Integration Team. Integrate into the schedule of offerings the Mercy Critical Concerns and emerging themes in spirituality,
- Contact retreat leaders and arrange retreat dates 9-12 months ahead of time.
- Schedule planning meetings with the retreat presenters and provide technical and organizational support so they can deliver creative content (in-person, text, image, audio, and video),
- Arrange for Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) from partner institutions for programs, as needed,
- Responsible for delivering room setup instructions and food services instructions to applicable departments at least 2 weeks prior to each event,
- Provide gracious hospitality to retreat leaders and participants, introducing retreat presenters, and leading the welcome and orientation for sponsored retreats,
- Post information about our sponsored retreats, weekly programs, and events to our websites, and make certain that the content is prepared and distributed in a timely manner,
- Responsible for the delivery of a wide range of videos, photographs, podcast episodes, and video conference events,
- With a web-cam, video, and/or camera and laptop: Create, edit, curate, and post content,
- Host video conference events and help participants with technology questions,
- Conducts regular reviews and evaluations of the Center’s programming with the Director and the Mission Integration Team,
- Assists with the compilation of the annual program schedule and booklet, including retreat content and descriptions, contact with presenters, scheduling of dates, participant capacity, room usage, etc.,
- Expands Mercy Center’s network of presenters in light of the goal of greater demographic diversity,
- Attends staff meetings, Mission Integration Team Meetings, Mercy Spirituality Network meetings, and other meetings as necessary,
- Serves as one of the overnight/on-call contacts, in rotation with other staff members,
Communication and Community Building
- Skillful communication and interpersonal skills with a stellar ability to collaborate with a team, as well as provide necessary leadership for problem solving and building community,
- Provide inspiration, guidance, and support for the staff and volunteers, assisting the Director with training and mentoring staff,
- Ensure that the Director is kept fully aware of any relevant feedback from guests, Sisters, and staff,
- Write Grant applications, manage grants, and write grant reports.
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication and copywriting skills in English (required), Spanish and/or Mandarin/Cantonese is a plus,
- Give strong attention to detail and organizational skills,
- Manage & prioritize the deadlines and deliverables of projects, and is flexible and comfortable in an evolving environment of changing needs,
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in a variety of settings,
- Good understanding of social media channels & how they can contribute to building community and brand awareness,
- Ability to learn and be courageous in navigating emergent technology including and social media scheduling software, authoring programs such as Articulate Rise, and Storyline, and design programs like Canva. Proficient with light video editing with Camtasia and other audio-visual methods of communicating ideas and content,
- Work with the video production team and assist with planning, shooting, and editing video,
- Produce a regular podcast series to promote meditation and retreat programs,
- Write blog posts and create audio-visual content for social media channels: help plan the monthly content & upload the posts; monitor performance of social media channels,
- Add content to the website and learning management systems.
Education, Competencies and Experience
To perform the job successfully, an individual should have the following education, competencies, and experience:
Education, Competencies and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Theology or Religious Studies, Psychology, Philosophy, or a related field. Graduate Degree in a related field preferred.
- Meditation Teacher Training Certificate Required – Insight Meditation training preferred.
- A minimum of three years of experience as an effective retreat leader in multiple diverse settings or significant experience in a retreat or ministry setting; conversant in themes related to contemporary spirituality.
- Awareness and acceptance of a broad range of spiritual and religious beliefs and practices.
- Related experience working in teaching meditation or mindfulness, spiritual direction, ministry, therapy, and/or retreat-leading capacity, training instruction, and/or learning experience design.
- Understanding and appreciation of the traditions and culture associated with the Sisters of Mercy.
Benefits for full-time, we offer:
The Sisters of Mercy ensure the care of their employees by providing free of charge employer paid
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Company provided and additional matched employee contributions to 403b Retirement Plan
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Time
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Parental Leave
- Adoption Assistance
We also offer:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Teladoc, EAP plan, Health Savings Account, and Flexible Spending Account.
This location provides free meals and free parking.
The Sisters of Mercy celebrate diversity. The Mercy mission centers on our commitment to anti-racism, women, earth, non-violence and immigrants.
We welcome all qualified employees regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. In our inclusive work environment, employees thrive.
Fully vaccinated workplace. Must be fully vaccinated to work here.
Health and Wellness Specialists: Tai Chi, Qigong, Yoga, Leadership Embodiment, Massage, Healing Touch
These positions are responsible for teaching/offering R&R programing and services to guests in one (or more) of the following areas:
- Personal Growth: Creative Expression, Mindfulness, Spiritual Practices, Relationships, Leadership Embodiment, Interpersonal Communication
- Health and Wellness: Massage, Healing Touch, Embodied Practices: Yoga, Qi Gong, Tai Chi, etc…